TeX Live 2005 - bugs and updates
Please email further bug reports or other comments to the tex-live mailing list. See the TeX Live home page for general information and
- The Windows installer leaves the texmf-var directory
read-only. It is fine to change the permissions by hand
(attrib -R texmf-var\*.* /S), or you can get the
- Solaris tar fails to install from the live image, complaining
"xf: command not found". Workarounds:
1) use GNU tar;
2) install from the inst image.
- unzip appears to fail to create symbolic links in at least
one version of Debian GNU/Linux. This is not under our control. One
workaround is to use a capable version of unzip; the unzip home
page has both binaries and sources. Another workaround is to
install from the live distribution, instead of inst.
- The msg package was incorrectly installed; all the generated
.tex files are needed to use the package. The easiest thing to do is
probably remove msg.sty and then install the
distribution from CTAN.
- The euclide LaTeX package (texmf-dist/tex/latex/euclide and
texmf-dist/dvips/euclide) is now obsolete, and should be removed. It
interferes with operation of the current pst-eucl package.
- The picins LaTeX package was discovered to be under a nonfree
license, and so was dropped from this release (it's still available on
CTAN). The picinpar package is a good replacement.
- The pst-3d.tex file is misplaced; it should be in
texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-3d, not texmf-dist/doc/latex/pst-3d.
- Running texconfig paper letter rebuilds all the formats,
instead of only those that have already been built. If this is
troublesome, change line 1257 of the texconfig script to specify
--refresh instead of --all. (This will be the
behavior next time.)
Not exactly bugs, but known and intentional incompatibilities with
previous releases (sorry). These changes were all made in teTeX-3.0,
and TeX Live has followed suit.
- texconfig, updmap, and fmtutil now work in a "user" directory,
specifically $HOME/.texlive2005/. If you are installing TL for a
multi-user system, you must now alter the general system configuration
by running texconfig-sys, updmap-sys, and fmtutil-sys.
- \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined will no longer work to detect
whether pdfTeX is running. Use ifpdf.sty or equivalent logic.
- dvips will not find figure files specified with absolute or relative
(..) file names, as a security measure. Use z0 in config.ps to
allow this behavior.
- the HOMETEXMF configuration variable is now named TEXMFHOME.
If you find other compatibility problems, we'd like to know.
$Date: 2006/07/01 17:16:38 $;